This presentation explains the most important details of preparing and installing the popular Rotax 912 family of four stroke engines in your experimental homebuilt aircraft. This reliable, high performance engine will only perform safely if installed properly as specified by the Rotax installation guide. The important details in this guide are often misunderstood or even ignored completely resulting in catastrophic engine failures and dangerous situations.
This video makes the installation guide come to life by demonstrating on screen an actual installation while explaining the theory behind the procedures!
Some items covered:
- How to configure and install the oil system (cooler, hoses, tank).
- How to purge the oil system during the first time fill.
- How to configure and plumb the cooling system (hoses, radiator, overflow bottle, coolant).
- Understanding and wiring the regulator/rectifier. (Do I need a big capacitor?)
- Generator capacity and hookup to the regulator/rectifier.
- How to wire the temperature sensors and gauges.
- Installation of the exhaust system.
- Carburetor and fuel system theory and hookup (cables for chokes and carbs).
- Starter circuit and solenoid wiring.
- Detailed steps for the very first time startup.
- Synchronizing the carburetors - manually AND pneumatically!
- Most common installation errors that have resulted in engine failures.
- The inside scoop on what the issues with fuel and oil selection are.