Give yourself the edge in an emergency - read this book!
Award-winning flight instructor and aviation video host Rich Stowell has condensed eight years and 2,000+ hours of experience teaching recoveries from spins and other unusual attitudes into a 240-page manual sprinkled with 128 illustrations. Touted as the "definitive work on an important subject," the book provides a common sense treatment of many subjects inadequately addressed during the course of normal flight training.
Stowell unravels such perennial aviation mysteries as the intricate relationship between pitch and power, the significance of the V-g Diagram, the real cause of spins, the behavior of wingtip vortices, and the human factors influencing aeronautical decision-making. In the process, the reader learns simplified emergency strategies to cope with a host of in-flight maladies, including spins and spirals, inverted attitudes, wake turbulence, control failures, and engine failures.
The timely information in this book is applicable to pilots at all levels of experience.
- Emergency Maneuver Training
- Basic Aerodynamics
- Roll, Yaw, and Pitch
- Pitch and Power
- Curved Flight
- Control Failures
- Powerplant Failures
- Off-Airport Landings
“Rich Stowell has the unique ability to dissect complex topics in a way that all pilots can understand. His message is safety and his approach makes sense.”
…Rod Machado, aviation speaker, educator & author
“In recent years, the airlines have begun to realize the critical importance of preparing their pilots for the need to employ emergency maneuvering in the case of attitude upsets. Rich Stowell, who has been in the forefront of such training for years, has just written a book that provides similar advice for general aviation pilots. Emergency Maneuver Training is destined to contribute significantly to general aviation safety, and I recommend it to all who want to keep their airplanes out of the scrap yard.”
…Barry Schiff, author, video host, retired airline pilot
Same Day Shipping
Orders placed before 2 PM Mountain Standard Time (MST) Monday-Friday (except holidays) are shipped out the same day. FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day, and Express Saver requests must be placed by 1 PM Mountain Standard Time (MST) for same day shipping.
Shipping Within the USA
- Standard shipping options for all U.S. addresses are your choice of FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, U.S. Postal Media Mail and U.S. Postal Priority Mail.
- Free Shipping in Continental US on retail orders over $95 is by standard mail (USPS) for residences and FedEx Ground for commercial addresses. Free shipping does not apply to wholesale orders.
US Shipping Methods
- FedEx Ground is a fully traceable and fully insured service with times and costs about the same as Priority Mail. We recommend FedEx Ground for all shipments so your package will arrive on a timelier basis and in good condition.
- FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day and Express Saver requests must be placed by 1 PM Mountain Standard Time for same day shipping. As with all FedEx services, it is fully traceable, insured, and will arrive on a timely basis in the best packaging available.
FedEx Service Explanations
- Standard Overnight delivers the next business day (Mon-Fri, except holidays and weekends) at the time of day when your FedEx driver normally serves your shipping address.
- Priority Overnight delivers before noon by adjusting the driver's normal route to insure early delivery. Because Priority Overnight is not available everywhere, we do not list it in the standard choices. If you require early morning delivery, please call or email before noon (MST) so we can confirm its availability in your area.
- Saturday Delivery is a special option for overnight orders placed on Fridays. Because Saturday service is not available everywhere, we do not list in the standard choices. If you require Saturday delivery, please call or email before noon on Friday (MST) so that we may confirm its availability in your area.
- 2nd Day Service is also measured in business days. Thus an order placed on Thursday will arrive on Monday, and an order placed on Friday will arrive on Tuesday.
- Exceptions and delays: Almost always, FedEx provides reliable on-time service (far better than the post office). However as all transportation is subject to delay due to weather or other factors, neither FedEx nor ATB can absolutely guarantee on time delivery of any package.
- Media Mail is very unpredictable. We've seen mail packages cross the country in 2 days and other take 2 weeks to cross town. Postal shipments are untrackable and uninsurable (regardless of what the post office says). Do not choose media mail if you are in a rush. You may get lucky, but if it doesn't arrive as soon as you expect there is nothing we can do about it.
- Priority Mail is just a little bit more predictable than standard mail. Typical shipping times are 3-4 days to the west coast or mid-west, and 5-6 days to the east coast. However as it is still untrackable and uninsurable (regardless of what the post office says); if it does not arrive on time there is nothing we can do about it.
- Other shipping methods are available upon request. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout form or give us a call.
- Your order may be shipped on your own FedEx account. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout formor give us a call.
- APO and FPO military addresses are considered US addresses regardless of the country in which you serve. Please enter United States as your country and your APO/FPO zip code in that box.
- Standard International shipping options and costs are displayed on the checkout page once you have entered your order. Please note that many countries charge various taxes and duties when you receive your order. These taxes are NOT determined or collected by us and so are NOT included with your shipping total at time of checkout. If your shipment can be marked in some way to help with these matters, please let us know in the "comments" box of the checkout page. If you do not pay the duties and taxes associated with your order or refuse your package for any reason, we will not be able to refund the cost of shipping to your location and the cost to return the order to our warehouse.
- We strongly recommend FedEx for all international shipping. Choosing FedEx shipping is the only way to guarantee your order will be successfully delivered. International postal shipments are NOT trackable or insurable and so the successful delivery of your order can not be guaranteed. If your international postal shipment does not arrive or is damaged enroute there is nothing we can do about it. You would have lost your money. Aircraft Technical Book Company WILL NOT replace merchandise lost or damaged in the international postal system! Orders over $200 which are paid by credit card can not ship postal. If you want your large order to ship postal it must be paid for by wire transfer, check or money order (see payment options).
- Freight Forwarders are a safe and economical method of shipping larger orders (over 50 kg). If you do not currently use a freight forwarder, please ask us to recommend one which serves your area.
- Your order may be shipped on your own FedEx account. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout form or give us a call.
- If you would like your package marked in a specific way to help it clear your country's customs, please note your request in the comments section of the checkout form.