Information in this book will serve you well on your exciting career path as an Aircraft Dispatcher; a critical link in air safety and a viable career option for many aviators.
An Aircraft Dispatcher (ADX) is a licensed airman certificated by the FAA, typically employed by airlines or companies operating large transport-category aircraft, who has joint responsibility with the captain for the safety and operational control of flights. Dispatchers legally authorize flight departures and have authority to delay or cancel flights if unsafe conditions exist. They disseminate flight information to the company and are the source of information provided to the traveling public.
The FAA Practical Exam for Aircraft Dispatcher is equivalent to the Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) oral exam that an airline captain must successfully complete. This Aircraft Dispatcher Oral Exam Guide prepares you for the exam with an explanation of the certification process, knowledge requirements in a question-and-answer format, and reference materials for further study. It covers the aircraft dispatcher Practical Test Standard subject areas such as route planning, regulations, training and currency requirements, certification, responsibilities and authority, aviation weather, manuals and documents, as well as practical applications of all topics. In addition, special emphasis is placed on common areas of focus for the exam: situational questions, and a generic guide to the proper systems and procedures you can apply to the specific aircraft used in your individual operations.
The Aircraft Dispatcher Oral Exam Guide provides current dispatchers with a thorough review for their annual proficiency checks, and is also beneficial to airmen and aspiring airline pilots seeking a better understanding of dispatch flight operations.
Author David C. Ison has been involved in the aviation industry for over 30 years, as a flight instructor and as an ATP for both regional and major airlines flying domestic and international routes. Dr. Ison is the Research Chair and Associate Professor of Aeronautics for the College of Aeronautics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide.
Same Day Shipping
Orders placed before 2 PM Mountain Standard Time (MST) Monday-Friday (except holidays) are shipped out the same day. FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day, and Express Saver requests must be placed by 1 PM Mountain Standard Time (MST) for same day shipping.
Shipping Within the USA
- Standard shipping options for all U.S. addresses are your choice of FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and U.S. Postal Priority Mail.
- Free Shipping in Continental US on retail orders over $95 is by standard mail (USPS) for residences and FedEx Ground for commercial addresses. Free shipping does not apply to wholesale orders.
US Shipping Methods
- FedEx Ground is a fully traceable and fully insured service with times and costs about the same as Priority Mail. We recommend FedEx Ground for all shipments so your package will arrive on a timelier basis and in good condition.
- FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day and Express Saver requests must be placed by 1 PM Mountain Standard Time for same day shipping. As with all FedEx services, it is fully traceable, insured, and will arrive on a timely basis in the best packaging available.
FedEx Service Explanations
- Standard Overnight delivers the next business day (Mon-Fri, except holidays and weekends) at the time of day when your FedEx driver normally serves your shipping address.
- 2nd Day Service is also measured in business days. For example, an order placed on Thursday will arrive on Monday, and an order placed on Friday will arrive on Tuesday.
- Exceptions and delays: FedEx provides reliable on time service (far better than the post office). However, as all transportation is subject to delay due to weather or other factors, neither FedEx nor ATB can absolutely guarantee on time delivery of any package.
- Priority Mail is just a little bit more predictable than standard mail. Typical shipping times are 3-4 days to the west coast or midwest, and 5-6 days to the east coast. However, if it does not arrive on time there is nothing we can do about it.
- Other shipping methods are available upon request. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout form or give us a call.
- Your order may be shipped on your own FedEx account. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout form or give us a call.
- APO and FPO military addresses are considered US addresses regardless of the country in which you serve. Please enter United States as your country and your APO/FPO zip code in that box.
- Standard International shipping options and costs are displayed on the checkout page once you have entered your order. Please note that many countries charge various taxes and duties when you receive your order. These taxes are NOT determined or collected by us and so are NOT included with your shipping total at time of checkout. If your shipment can be marked in some way to help with these matters, please let us know in the "comments" box of the checkout page. If you do not pay the duties and taxes associated with your order or refuse your package for any reason, we will not be able to refund the cost of shipping to your location and the cost to return the order to our warehouse.
- We strongly recommend FedEx for all international shipping. Choosing FedEx shipping is the only way to guarantee your order will be successfully delivered.
- Freight Forwarders are a safe and economical method of shipping larger orders (over 50 kg). If you do not currently use a freight forwarder, please ask us to recommend one which serves your area.
- If you would like your package marked in a specific way to help it clear your country's customs, please note your request in the comments section of the checkout form.