To safely operate an aircraft, pilots need to develop an awareness of not only the physiological aspect of flying, but also those that influence workload and fatigue, decision making, and situational awareness. It is vital that you, as a pilot, understand and appreciate how these factors affect your everyday flying.
Being a safe pilot requires more than completing your flight training, attending ground school, and meeting the currency requirements. A safe pilot is well-trained, familiar with the aircraft, proficient, current, physically and mentally fit, and has sound judgment.
This handbook is a compilation of FAA medical and safety publications that address:
- Assessing and determining personal minimums.
- Information if you are considering LASIK surgery.
- Stress management.
- Visual illusions and spatial disorientation.
- Flying safely with passengers.
Aeronautical Decision Making
Establishing Personal Minimums
Medications and Flying
Alcohol and Flying
Fatigue in Aviation
Fitness for Flight
Hearing and Noise in Aviation
Altitude-Induced Decompression Sickness
Hypoxia: The Higher You Fly...The Less Air in the Sky
Sunglasses for Pilots
Information for Pilots Considering LASIK Eye Surgery
Carbon Monoxide: A Deadly Menace
Spatial Disorientation: Visual Illusions
Spatial Disorientation: Why You Shouldn't Fly By the Seat of Your Pants
Flying with Passengers
Medical Certification: Questions and Answers
Same Day Shipping
Orders placed before 2 PM Mountain Standard Time (MST) Monday-Friday (except holidays) are shipped out the same day. FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day, and Express Saver requests must be placed by 1 PM Mountain Standard Time (MST) for same day shipping.
Shipping Within the USA
- Standard shipping options for all U.S. addresses are your choice of FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and U.S. Postal Priority Mail.
- Free Shipping in Continental US on retail orders over $95 is by standard mail (USPS) for residences and FedEx Ground for commercial addresses. Free shipping does not apply to wholesale orders.
US Shipping Methods
- FedEx Ground is a fully traceable and fully insured service with times and costs about the same as Priority Mail. We recommend FedEx Ground for all shipments so your package will arrive on a timelier basis and in good condition.
- FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day and Express Saver requests must be placed by 1 PM Mountain Standard Time for same day shipping. As with all FedEx services, it is fully traceable, insured, and will arrive on a timely basis in the best packaging available.
FedEx Service Explanations
- Standard Overnight delivers the next business day (Mon-Fri, except holidays and weekends) at the time of day when your FedEx driver normally serves your shipping address.
- 2nd Day Service is also measured in business days. For example, an order placed on Thursday will arrive on Monday, and an order placed on Friday will arrive on Tuesday.
- Exceptions and delays: FedEx provides reliable on time service (far better than the post office). However, as all transportation is subject to delay due to weather or other factors, neither FedEx nor ATB can absolutely guarantee on time delivery of any package.
- Priority Mail is just a little bit more predictable than standard mail. Typical shipping times are 3-4 days to the west coast or midwest, and 5-6 days to the east coast. However, if it does not arrive on time there is nothing we can do about it.
- Other shipping methods are available upon request. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout form or give us a call.
- Your order may be shipped on your own FedEx account. Please note your request on the comments section of the checkout form or give us a call.
- APO and FPO military addresses are considered US addresses regardless of the country in which you serve. Please enter United States as your country and your APO/FPO zip code in that box.
- Standard International shipping options and costs are displayed on the checkout page once you have entered your order. Please note that many countries charge various taxes and duties when you receive your order. These taxes are NOT determined or collected by us and so are NOT included with your shipping total at time of checkout. If your shipment can be marked in some way to help with these matters, please let us know in the "comments" box of the checkout page. If you do not pay the duties and taxes associated with your order or refuse your package for any reason, we will not be able to refund the cost of shipping to your location and the cost to return the order to our warehouse.
- We strongly recommend FedEx for all international shipping. Choosing FedEx shipping is the only way to guarantee your order will be successfully delivered.
- Freight Forwarders are a safe and economical method of shipping larger orders (over 50 kg). If you do not currently use a freight forwarder, please ask us to recommend one which serves your area.
- If you would like your package marked in a specific way to help it clear your country's customs, please note your request in the comments section of the checkout form.