Practical advice on selecting, inspecting, financing, insuring, hangaring, and maintaining an airplane.
Airplane Ownership, by author Ronald J. Wanttaja, is a valuable resource offering money-saving information on what a pilot needs to consider before and after buying a plane: selection, purchasing, financing, hangaring, maintenance, legal issues, and more.
Get your first plane!
Here, Ron Wanttaja walks you through the exciting process of shopping for, then acquiring and caring for your first airplane. Featuring lots of new information and photographs, this second edition includes the Light Sport category and Sports Pilot license, and emphasizes how to minimize cost of ownership for a wide range of planes. Aviation journalist Wanttaja, winner of the 1992 Aviation/Space Writers' Association Award of Excellence, guides you through every step -- before and after your purchase.
Expert guidance on:
- Prices and real-world operating expenses
- Cutting the costs of plane ownership
- Sizing up planes, from modern to antiques, used to partially completed homebuilts
- Privileges and limitations of the Light Sport Aircraft category
- Renting vs. owning; partnerships and leasebacks
- Pitfalls to avoid
- Preownership inspections—avoiding getting burned
- Paperwork needed to buy and register aircraft
- Getting financing and the right insurance
- Updated owner inspection and maintenance procedures—what you can and can't do
eBook File Description:
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- Chapter 1: Why Buy?
- Chapter 2: The Costs of Ownership
- Chapter 3: Picking the Right Plane
- Chapter 4: That New-Plane Smell
- Chapter 5: Used Aircraft
- Chapter 6: Special Wings, Part 1: Antiques and Classics
- Chapter 7: Special Wings, Part 2: Homebuilts
- Chapter 8: Found It!
- Chapter 9: The First Week
- Chapter 10: The First Year ... and Beyond
- Chapter 11: Keeping It Legal
- Chapter 12: Owner Maintenance
- Chapter 13: Problems
- Chapter 14: The Answer
About the author:
Ronald J. Wanttaja is an award-winning aviation writer and a former systems engineer with Boeing, who worked in satellite orbit/constellation design and analysis, launch vehicle and on-board propulsion system trades, and operations concepts for space systems. He worked on the early design studies for the International Space Station. An Air Force veteran, he was an on-duty operator for the Defense Support Program missile early-warning satellite. As a freelance aviation journalist, he has written for Private Pilot, Flying, Sport Aviation, Flight Line, Kitplanes, and other publications. He is author of the book Kit Airplane Construction. His aviation writing has won several prizes, including Flying Magazine's "Bax Seat Trophy" and a journalism award from the Aviation/Space Writer's Association. Mr. Wanttaja has also written and published historical fiction.
eBook User License Agreement:
The Content is a copyrighted work of McGraw-Hill and McGraw-Hill reserves all rights in and to the Content. The Work is © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
The user is receiving only a limited right to use the Content for user's own internal or personal use. The user may not reproduce, forward, modify, create derivative works based upon, transmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish or sublicense the Content or in any way commingle the Content with other third party content, without McGraw-Hill's consent.
The McGraw-Hill content is provided on an "as is" basis. Neither McGraw-Hill nor its licensors make any guarantees or warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or use as to any McGraw-Hill content or the information therein or any warranties as to the accuracy, completeness, currentness, or results to be obtained from, accessing or using the McGraw-Hill content, or any material referenced in such content or any information entered into licensee's product by users or other persons and/or any material available on or that can be accessed through the licensee's product (including via any hyperlink or otherwise) or as to non-infringement of third party rights. Any warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, are disclaimed. Any material or data obtained through use of the McGraw-Hill content is at your own discretion and risk and user understands that it will be solely responsible for any resulting damage to its computer system or loss of data.
Neither McGraw-Hill nor its licensors shall be liable to subscriber or to any user or anyone else for any inaccuracy, delay, interruption in service, error or omission, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom.
In no event will McGraw-Hill or its licensors, be liable for any indirect, special or consequential damages, including but not limited to, lost time, lost money, lost profits or good will, whether in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, and whether or not such damages are foreseen or unforeseen with respect to any use of the McGraw-Hill content.
- ...from the 'aircraft ownership' Category
- > Plane Sense
- > Illustrated Buyers Guide to Used Airplanes
- > Kit Airplane Construction
- > Aeronautical Inspection and Pre-Purchase
- > Plane Sense
- > Aircraft Ownership Legal and Tax Guide
- > Aircraft Partnership
- > Airplane Ownership
- > The $100 Hamburger
- ...from the 'Vans RVs' Category
- > RV Rudder Workshop
- > How to License Your Homebuilt Aircraft
- > AeroElectric Connection
- > The $100 Hamburger
- > Working Healthy and Working Healthy - Solvents
- > Engine Logbook - Hard Cover
- > Aircraft Fiberglass 101
- > Aircraft Painting 101
- > Standard Aircraft Handbook
- > Stick & Rudder
- Pilot Ratings
- flight instructor
- ATPL JAA/EASA
- CFI & FBO resources
- Flying Skills
- regulatory - flight
- VFR skills
- IFR & navigation
- professional skills
- communication / English
- sport flying
- aircraft & systems
- operating handbooks
- avionics training
- flight safety
- A&P Training
- A&P text books
- A&P test aides
- A&P training kits
- professional resources
- instructor resources
- EASA Part 66